Saturday, May 10, 2008

FreeBSD Home Gateway Experiment

I intend to experiment with my home gateway - or the older computer I'm going to turn into one - and load FreeBSD on it. Now I'm going to say here and now that I'm a complete noob when it comes to FreeBSD. I only have a little Ubuntu exposure as my pitiful excuse of *nix experience, but what better time to start, eh?

Anyway, I intend to install and configure FreeBSD for these purposes:
  • Firewall
  • NAT Gateway
  • Router
  • IPv6 Tunnel Endpoint
  • DHCP/DNS Server
  • HTTP/FTP/SOCKS Proxy
  • Etc.
I will attempt to document my progress, and the results of my foray into the world of FreeBSD, and allow others to enjoy it as I did.

2 comments:

Shane said...

I actually found your blog through a signature on the Ubuntu forums, and I have to say, I've been considering largely the same idea, with one (big) caveat: I want it to run off of a Compact Flash card! Please feel free to contact me on Google Talk at shanesveller at gmail dot com, I'd love to talk about this with someone else...

Maicol said...

Maicol here, hey check out this diy project from systm http://revision3.com/systm/freenas
I've been thinking about setting it up.